I have a stack of old PS2 games that I started and never finished. I can play the games on my PS3 but what’s the point when I’ll lose all my previous progress? Fortunately, it’s possible to transfer the old game saves from my PS2’s memory card onto the PS3’s hard drive!
There is no PS2 memory card slot in the PS3 so will need a Memory Card Adaptor. Sony make an official adapter but there are also a number of cheaper alternatives. Buy one online:
- Official Sony PS3 Memory Card Adapter (recommended)
- Data Bank Convertor – odd name but does the right thing
- Try eBay
- Plug your PS2 memory card into the adaptor
- Plug the adaptor into a free USB port on your PS3
- Go to the “Game” menu in the XMB and choose “Memory Card Utility (PS/PS2)”
- If the adaptor is working you should see an item called “Memory Card (PS2)”. Below the title should be the size of the card and how much is in use–in my case “1334 KB / 7998 KB”
- Press the controller’s Triange button to get the Memory Card options. Select “Copy”
- Select “Yes” to confirm the copy from memory card to the hard drive
- Enter a name for the new Internal Memory Card that will be created on the hard drive, or leave the default name. I named mine “Original PS2 saves”. Select “OK”
- The data will be copied. If the amount of saved data is too large, the system will automatically create multiple internal memory cards
- You may be informed that the new internal card has been assigned to a “slot”. These slots are an emulation of the physical memory card slots in the PS2, so similarly you may only have two internal/virtual cards “plugged in” (assigned) at a time. The internal memory card must be assigned to slot 1 or 2 to be available when you run PS2 games
- The new internal memory card should now be showing in the XMB, under Game > Memory Card Utility
- Selecting the card will allow you to browse the game saves that were copied across!
After my PS2’s card contents had copied to the internal memory card, I was informed that the copy had completed. Interestingly, there was also this message: Copy-protected saved data was not copied. I didn’t notice any of my game saves missing, so is this a general warning? We’d like to hear your experiences.
Copying from PS3 back to PS2 memory card
The Memory Card Adaptor is now available as a destination when copying game saves off Internal Memory Cards–so you can copy off the PS3 back to your PS1/PS2 card.
Some adapters (like no-name brands) do not correctly write to the PS2 memory cards and will corrupt data. A reader has confirmed that the official Sony adapter reads and writes to the PS2 card correctly (see comments below).