Over time your PS3 will accumulate various files on its hard-drive, mostly from games that you have played but also videos or other media that you may have downloaded. Some games can even require gigabytes for installation!
These files don’t clean themselves up automatically so eventually your console can get cluttered and run out of room. Every now and again it’s worth doing a spring clean!
How much free space do I have?
- Go to the Settings menu in the XMB and choose System Settings
- Scroll down to the bottom and choose System information
- The Free space information will show how much space (GBs) is free and the total capacity of the PS3’s hard-disk
Remove old game demos
Have you downloaded any game demos from Playstation Store that you don’t play any more?
- Go to the Game menu and find the demo you wish to delete
- Press the Triangle button on your controller to show the options
- If you want to see how big the demo file is, choose Information and check the Size field
- Choose Delete from the options and choose Yes to confirm the deletion
Delete game installation files
The “Game Data Utility” stores installation files and patches. Some Blu-ray games install content to the hard-drive. Do not delete anything from here unless you have finished with the associated game.
- Go to the Game menu and choose the Game Data Utility feature
- Check for files of games you don’t have or play any more. Press the controller’s Triangle button to bring up the options
- To see the size of the file, go into Information
- To remove it, choose Delete and then Yes to confirm
Delete media (video/music/photos)
If you ever downloaded videos off the Playstation Store or copied across media like music or photos that you no longer need, you may want to remove them. Here’s an example where I delete a game trailer video: