Although signing up to PSN and creating an account is fairly straightforward, there are numerous steps in the process. Here’s our step-by-step overview guide to creating your first account (a Master Account).
Note: Before you can sign up you may be required to update your system software.
Also the process below may vary depending on your country.
- To begin, go to the “Playstation Network” menu and choose Sign up for Playstation Network
- Now the account creation begins. Since this is our first time signing up, choose Create a new account
- This screen explains what information you will need to provide during the process. Choose Continue
- Select your country, language and date of birth
- Date of birth determines what account type will be created. If you are 18+, you will get a Master Account. Otherwise you will get a Sub-account. Learn more about accounts.
- See also: countries supported by PSN)
- The online ID will be your publicly viewable username.
- It is not possible to change your online ID once your account is created.
- If you continually get the message “The online ID you entered cannot be used” then it may already be in use. Also, there are keywords that are not allowed – for example having “PS3″ anywhere in the online ID. For more help, see common problems.
Start using your account
- Play online games (e.g. multiplayer modes in LittleBigPlanet or MotorStorm)
- Use Playstation Store (under Network menu) to download demos and videos and purchase games
- Experience Sixaxis motion control